Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Banner: Gong Xi Fa Cai 2006 Edition (updated)

Warning: "Explicit Language" ahead if your browser didn't support Chinese characters :D

恭喜发财!!! Gong Xi Fa Cai !!! Today is the day of reunion dinner whereby family get together to celebrate the eve of Chinese New Year (农历新年). Chinese New Year starts on on the first day of the new year with a new moon (29 Jan 2006) and ends 15 days later during the full moon (12 Feb 2006). However, in Singapore, we usually have 2 days of public holidays which falls on 30~31 Jan 2006.

This Year is also Year of the Dog (狗年). So while many decor, gift package may use dog figures, picture to commemorate this year, I have opted for this beautiful & elegant Dragon Fish (Asian Arowana). My simple reasoning is because dog (狗, gǒu) sounds close to (夠, gòu), which means just enough. Fish (鱼, yú) sounds close to (馀, yú) which means excess or abundance!. Being greedy, I rather choose the latter kekeke ...

Back to the Asian Arowana, they are the most famous & expensive in Asia (if not the world). The arowana is very popular as it is believed to bring prosperity and wealth to the owner. However, they considered an endangered and protected species.

Voice from Above: You don't want to kena tomorrowed huh?
Me: Aiyoh! Why kena tomorrow when all I want is kena today!
Voice from Above: NOOOOOOOOO..., I mean this!
Me: Oh I see, I thought strike lottery hahaha, nah ... still won't trade my Fish (鱼, yú) for (狗, gǒu). Look, I have more auspicious fish here ...
FLOWERHORN FISH (Cichlid family)

GOLDFISH: RYUKIN


Even Orchids & citrus are much better then dog (狗, gǒu)
COLORFUL ORCHIDS

SMALL CITRUS TREE


Voice from Above: NO NO NO, Dog Year should have at least some dog photos! Better do otherwise I send thunder down
Me: Eeeeeeeeeeeek!!! OK lah! Some doggie photos here lor!

Mr See What! & Mr Don't Care You

Ms Cute Cute & Ms Moody Blues

And finally, this is probably the laziest (but cute) dog I ever seen. Mr Basset :)


Ooook, enough of my nonsense again. To end, there are some season greetings written on the banner, but they are in chinese. For benefits of those who don't understand, here my quick rough translation.
金钱钞票滚滚来
Great Wealth will rapidly flows to you.
好运喜事天天来
You will recieve daily doese of Luck & Happiness
心想愿望顺顺来
All your hopes & wishes will be fullfilled
福禄寿禧齐齐来
Prosperity, good reputation / social status longevity will all be yours

I wish all a very Happy, Healthy & Properous Lunar New Year to all. Need to prepare for my reunion dinner now. Ciao!

7 Comments:

Blogger Van Cong Tu said...

Happy New Year

6:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

gong xi fa cai, xin nian kuai le, nian nian you yu, jin yu man tang, da ji da li, bu bu gao sheng... and all well-wishes for the year... WOOF WOOF WOOF!

9:24 PM  
Blogger |- jX -| said...

hey, surfed over to ur blog from pfong's.. ha, i love your dog shots!! very cutee!

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute doggies! I love the new banner too ;)

4:44 AM  
Blogger slurp! said...

thanks all!
hope 2 new lens & a new camera body could land on my lap this year hahaha
and of course more travels & food session to come :)

10:18 PM  
Blogger pfong said...

lovely set of dog shots. Nicely done.

11:25 PM  
Blogger slurp! said...

pfong, thanks!
I have some more cute shots of that same basset hound. let see how I can fit into my blog later. cheers!

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home