Saturday, February 04, 2006

Food: Fresh Oysters for Good Business @ AU, SYD

It's day 4 of Lunar New Year. Seeing many postings of their reunion dinner, I thought I should have done so as well! But no, really, my mum have a minor operation a week before Lunar New Year. So we have a simple but satisfying home steamboat dinner for reunion. Nothing too extravagant nor sinful.

Still in spirit of Lunar New Year, I will post something auspicious and it's good that I have "kept" Oysters I had in Sydney for the Lunar New Year!

Chinese are fond of associating words that sounds auspicious. Some examples:-
Tangerines/Mandarins sounds like "Luck" (Mandarin)
Shrimp/Prawn symbolises "Happiness" as "Har" (Cantonese) reassembles the sounds of laugther as in "hahaha" :D
As for fresh Oyster, "sheng hao" (Mandarin) almost sounds like "good business".

So how fresh? Is freshly shucked Oysters from the farms good enough? Let go Sydney Fish Market! And before you proceed, do remember to select your tools! :P



Of course I'm kidding, I reckon it going to take me 5mins or more just to do one. So I rather leave this to the pros who will get one done in less than 5secs!


I found 2 type of oysters available at Sydney Fish Market, Sydney rock(Saccostrea glomerata) & Pacific Oysters (Crassostrea gigas). They are usually named according to the variety & location where there were breed.

This is the "Sydney Rock Port Stephens Oysters". They are bred naturally on the rocks and mangroves. Although smaller sized then Pacific, they are highly prized for creamy textures, beautiful gold colors, briny and flavourful. I love Syd Rock creaminess, besides it's not as briny as Pacific since they are bred closer to the shores. Being medium size also makes it easier to enjoy as a whole. You can have it on its own or with light refeshing whites.



For Pacific, I have (if I remembered correctly :P) "Coffin Bay Pacific Oysters". Don't be fooled by the photos, they are at least 1/4 ~ 1/2 larger then the Syd Rock. Very briny & robust & full flaours. Being larger means that I can only finished them on my second bite. Don't recommend you takes this on it's own. Prefably with sweeter white wine, full bodied reds, tangy & spicy sauce or even grilled.



There were many more from other Oysters farm in Australia. But I guess having 2 dozen is ... *burp!* ahem ... quite enough for my small digestive system hehehe ... I do have 8 additional shots (Yes, EIGHT is lucky!) of Oysters to share. Without much ado, presenting *drums rolls* Sydney Fish Market Fresh Oysters. :D

1. Large St Helens Pacific


2. Syd Rock Nambucca


3. Syd Rock Wallis Lake



4. Diamond Island Tasmanian Pacific



5. Cloudy Bay Tasmanian Pacific


6. Little Swan Port Pacific


7. Syd Rock Teranora



8. Bruny Island Tasmania Pacific


(Hhere I go again) I wish my readers another year full of excellent & exciting business opportunities ahead!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger andrian martin dominic said...

andrian wld do fine

oysters look good, but too bad i dont know how to appreciate it, i tend to go for the seafood platter while im there man

btw what camera and lenses do you use? seems tht yr picture looks superiorly clearer than mine. im wondering whether its the lense

12:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

whoaah, that's a whole shuckful of oysters... sama-sama wishes of prosperity and good healthy for u too!

10:55 PM  
Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

wow! 2 dozen ? thats a lot of it,best of health to you too

1:48 PM  
Blogger slurp! said...

andrian,
just canon 300D. usually EF-S 17-85mm f4~5.6 IS USM. Some are taken with 50mm f1.8 like the doggies. of late, I'm having fun with Panasonic Lumix FX9 :)

cath, thanks!!!

foodczazee,
thanks! yes, that's a lot for me as well. but for the good of manhood. endure! endure! hahaha ...

12:53 AM  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

I have to learn to eat before I come over to this blog, your pictures always make me hungry!

3:23 AM  
Blogger slurp! said...

wp,
I'm terribly sorry to cause your agony. I should have put up a warning message "SEE" FOOD AHEAD :P

Probably I should have another warning for dialup users: "HEAVY TRAFFIC APPROACHING" :D

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slurp! Which shots did you take with the Lumix Panasonic? I oso bought meself a compact Lumix too. But lost the manual. Can you post more tricks u discover with the Lumix please? I find pictures taken with the 'food' menu option really terrible.
Ta,
wizi

7:20 PM  
Blogger slurp! said...

wizi,
shots done with lumix are in posts:-
- Food: CNY2006 Luncheon @ SG (Coming Soon)
- Ramblings: Some "KIND" of day
- Photo: January 2006
- Banner: Gong Xi Fa Cai 2006 Edition (updated) (just the fish & floral)
- Home: Hari Raya Haji / Korban - Timid Edition

manuals? i haven't read them yet. but if it's FX9,try here

http://www.panasonic.com.au/products
/more_downloads.cfm?objectID=2807

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, they look fantastic, Slurp! I don't like cooked oysters, I think eating them raw is the right way to taste them, don't you think? ;) I didn't know you've got a 300D, I got a 350D about 6 months ago :) keiko

8:37 AM  
Blogger slurp! said...

keiko,
I fully agree with you. I like my oysters raw too. when grilled, they all taste & smell too strongly.

I bought my 300D in Oct 2003. wow! it's already more then 2years! wanted to add 350D but was disappointed to find that they are usually different batteries from 300D. so i'm stucked with 20D path ... but hear that 20D replacement will be coming this year. so i decide to wait :)

350D is nice & light camera. too bad, they still don't put spot focus feature inside. Grrrrrr!!!

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home