Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Photo: January 2006

Starting Jan 2006, I will be putting one of my personal favourite shot, out of many taken during the month. While there are many who are already doing a day a shot posting, I can't even do a week a shot posting, let alone a day. :(

This month shot is one of my favourite photography activity, Panning. Technically, panning is technique whereby you move your camera horizontally or vertically at speed close to a moving object (e.g Cars, People etc). If done properly, this will create a sharp moving object and a blurred background. It gives a sense of speed to the photo which can look too static if no panning technique was used. Panning is challenging & fun and after many months of practise, I'm still in need of more practise! :P

While I have tried panning in local motorsports activity, streets to playground. This time, I have given panning a little twist. Instead of panning with your hand, I have pan with a car. That's means I hold the camera static & putting to slow shutter speed say 1/8sec while the driver try to follow the car in front at the same speed,

And I like the effect it gives me and there are room for furthur exploration in this technique. Although I would like to pull the light streaks longer, I'm limited to the fact I'm using a super compact Panasonic Lumix FX9. It doesn't gives me manual control to play around. But I like it for it's size & weight so much that I could carry the camera all day.

Feel free to comment & critique as there is still SO MUCH for me to learn in photography. THANK YOU!!!

Oh lastly, a road safety message from yours sincerely :D
IF YOU DRIVE DON'T SHOOT, IF YOU SHOOT DON'T DRIVE

CHINATOWN LUNAR NEW YEAR 2006, SINGAPORE

6 Comments:

Blogger andrian martin dominic said...

very nice!

i've always thought how they managed to catch such photos with the object still while the background is blurred.

seems to me the mystery is solved, but like you said, not easy to master at all

11:44 PM  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Gung Hay Fat Choy, Slurp!

2:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nice panned shot... looking forward to your photos gallery on periodic basis!

9:02 AM  
Blogger slurp! said...

amd,
seriously dunno which name to use, hehehe ... now you know, go play! try in daytime for a start.

wp, thanks!

cath,
thanks! hopefully lor. just trying to "force" myself to do this :P

12:29 AM  
Blogger |- jX -| said...

ha, good advice! love the zoomin in effect u got in the shot.. ;p

10:40 PM  
Blogger pfong said...

look forward to seeing your monthly shots slurp.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home